The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of Elon University, the U.S. government, or the Peace Corps.

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Things in Bulgaria have a tendency to be on the [ridiculously] inefficient side. I can honestly say that in general, it doesn't bother me. I almost appreciate it. I like that it keeps me on my toes. Sure, the fact that you have to fill out paperwork to apply in order to be able to apply for a residency card is a bit crazy, and I was a little confused why a bank representative had to drive all the way from Sofia to Samokov to retrieve the bank card that the ATM decided to eat, drove with it BACK to Sofia, all to just mail it to me in Samokov a few days later in a package with the other cards the machine devoured from Samokov residents.... but its all a part of the excitement and fun of living in a foreign country, right? ;)

The day to day craziness also allows you to especially appreciate when things turn out to be surprisingly EASY - which does, believe it or not, happen from time to time. 

Last month, I developed a nasty sinus infection. Eventually, I realized that I wasn't going to be able to kick the crud in my head without a little assistance, so I finally emailed Peace Corps - PRAYING that they wouldn't make me come all the way into the capital for a doctor's appointment. To my relief, after speaking with our doctor about the symptoms, he confirmed it was some sort of sinus infection and wrote me a prescription, which he then emailed to me. Now, I don't own a printer, but I DO live three floors above a pharmacy. I unplugged my laptop, walked downstairs in my slippers, penguin pajama paints, winter hat,  and down coat - looking about as pathetic as possible (and not intentionally....), showed the pharmacist my computer, and she filled my prescription within about 4 minutes of me leaving my front door. I was back in bed what seemed like moments later. 

I'll take the ridiculous stories of infficiency any day if it means that some things go even easier than I expected. 

No comments: