The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of Elon University, the U.S. government, or the Peace Corps.

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Earlier this week, an older, married man apparently showed up at school with money wanting to "take" one of my 7th grade girls as his wife. She pleaded with her teacher to not make her go with him. Soon thereafter, the director of school called her parents and they came and took her home. She hasn't been back in school all week.

But she's not getting married. At least, not yet.

THANK YOU JESUS.

But all I can think about is what would have happened if it had been a child from a family who desperately needed the money.

This job breaks my heart. But I've never regretted for a moment coming back. This is where I need (and want) to be.

2 comments:

Vic and Suebee said...

Wow . . . we have no idea what these folks live with every day. Hang in there!
Love,
Suebee :D

Age said...

Wow. That's heavy stuff. I'm glad you're here too.