The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of Elon University, the U.S. government, or the Peace Corps.

Monday, December 13, 2010

Haven't had the energy to sort photos and truly reflect on this last week of vacation in ISTANBUL, but before I go to bed after just returning from a friend's birthday party this evening, I wanted to share with you this amazing photo taken from the balcony of my hostel's roof top terrace this past monday during breakfast:



That, my internet friends, is my amazing big brother navigating his US naval ship out of the Bosphorus Straight in Istanbul!

I can't express to you how GOOD God is, and how awesome he was to coordinate our independent trips to Istanbul this past week.

A few months ago, I started planning another rendezvous in Turkey with one of the best friends a girl could ask for. Abby just finished up her two years of PC service in Turkmenistan, so we planned a fun and baklava-filled week in the city we had discovered together last spring. There are plenty of stories to share and I will get to those laters, but the highlight was definitely getting to see my bro for the first time in nearly a year and a half. Last month, Ryan sent me a cryptic email saying that he would be in "my neck of the woods." Not-so-much decyfering later, it turned out that the Filkins sibs would BOTH be in Istanbul at the same time! And I already had a hotel booked in order to make this happen.

This past Sunday, I was able to meet up with Ryan and a couple of his buddies from the ship for sightseeing, good eats, some shopping, and... a cold draft brew and REDSKINS football - all halfway across the world. It was GREAT to see Ryan and hang out like that, and I am so thankful that God cared enough about me in order to coorinate this just when I needed it most - a few weeks before my third Christmas away from home and family.

The next morning I was able to actually SEE his ship pull away from the peer and pass right in front of my hostel's view of the Bosphorus.

AMAZING.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Vic and Suebee said...

God is good . . . all the time! I'm so delighted for you! :D
Suebee :D