The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of Elon University, the U.S. government, or the Peace Corps.

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Yesterday I woke up to the white wintery wonderfulness I've been waiting for… only to spend the entire day inside my cozy {and warm…ish} apartment working on my current project/grant proposal for Svetlina while stealing glances outside as the white stuff continued to fall.

Today I trudged through the snow to the kindergarten and then to met with Katya to finalize the budget and work out some kinks. Barely an hour and a half after walking through higher than mid-calf snow drifts on the way to my office, I headed back towards my block.

Only this time, my "razhodka" was through a raging river. In barely 90 minutes, the sun had come out and warmed things up so much, that melted snow was quite literally gushing down the road I live on. The problem is that the snow that got plowed off of the street and onto the sidewalks was still knee deep and now nasty muddy, so you have to resort to walking on the actual road; where cars – no longer troubled by threats of ice and skidding – are racing to their next destination… splashing GALLONS (or liters… this is BG) of water onto you each time one passes, leaving you horribly exposed and unprotected by the freezing, brown, melted snow water that is now covering you from head to toe.

But it was a good day, and the adventure (what should have been my normal 10 minute walk was… slightly… elongated) still made me love and laugh at my life here.

Even though I spent most of the day inside putting the finishing touches on my project proposal (which is DONE by the way – please say a prayer that all this work actually gets funded!), I worked while wrapped up in BOTH my snuggie and new fleece blanket from the bro and sis, all the while listening to some Ray LaMontange and sipping on Vanilla Chai tea. I also had time to watch The Blind Side (GREAT movie by the way!).

No comments: